Fall Protection, BC Comprehensive
Developed by the Fall Protection Group/3M, the goal of this classroom-based course is for participants to understand common fall protection safety systems as they apply to the general work environment including utilities and communications, transportation, energy and mining as well as construction and industry sectors. Participants will learn to select and correctly use fall protection systems through a combination of hands-on activities and classroom demonstration and discussion.
This course has been approved for .6 CEU’s by the EOCP, Environmental Operators Certification Program.
This course is also a prerequisite for Aerial Work Platform certification.
- Fall Protection Basics: Fall accident statistics, Dynamics of falling, Governing bodies and regulations
- Fall Protection Systems: Guardrails, Travel restraint system, Personal fall arrest system, Safety nets, Control zones, Procedure based fall protection systems, System selection, Fall protection plan
- Travel Restraint and Fall Arrest: System components & Terminology
- Anchor Points: Strength requirements, Permanent anchor points, Temporary anchor points, Anchorage connectors
- Connectors Part I: Snap hooks and carabiners, Lanyards, Energy absorbers, Self-retracting lanyards (SRLs)
- Connectors Part II: Vertical lifelines (VLLs) and fall arresters, Free fall distance, Clearance requirements, Calculating FFD TFD CR, Horizontal lifelines (HLLs)
- Body Holding Devices: Safety belts vs. full body harnesses,Harness types, Harness fitting / Partner check
- Specialty Solutions/Situations: Work positioning, Descent control devices, Aerial lifts, Ladders, Scaffolds
- Equipment Care: Inspection, Maintenance, Storage
- Rescue: Rescue concepts, principles and planning, Suspension trauma, Working alone
- Fall Arrest System Workshop: Harness donning and partner check, Harness suspension, Fall arrest system selection & set-up / video analysis
- Question & answer period, Theory test, Wrap-up Participants must achieve a minimum of 70% on closed-book written test.
Class maximum is 24 students; class size is modified by capacity of training environment among other considerations.
– 8 Hours –
Valid for 3 years.
Note: After obtaining a BC Comprehensive certificate successful candidates can contact 3M/Fall Protection Group to arrange for testing ($30.00 per test) for certifications in other provincial jurisdictions.